41 Delicious Healthy Pasta Recipes: http://dailyhealthytips.org/41-delicious-healthy-pasta-recipes/
photo source: www.southernliving.com
*~slowcooker bbq jackfruit~*
this is an easy, delicious recipe for any vegetarians out there who miss the yummy goodness that is pulled pork! that stuff on the plate above? that’s not pulled pork! it’s jackfruit, and you are going to fall in love with it.
you can find jackfruit at most asian grocery stores. you want to get the young green jackfruit in brine. that’s the best kind for this recipe! so, let’s get started. all the ingredients for this dish will run you less than $15.
- 2 cans young green jackfruit in brine
- 1/2 bottle barbecue sauce of your choice
- 1/2 jar salsa of your choice
- salt to taste
- a sprinkling red pepper flakes, if ya like it spicy!
- open the two cans of jackfruit. drain the liquid out, and rinse off the fruit, gently pressing it down to squeeze out any excess liquid.
- place the jackfruit in your slow cooker. add the barbecue sauce and salsa. if you want add salt or red pepper flakes, throw them in, too. you can always omit these, taste the dish later, and add those if you want more saltiness or heat.
- let it cook! i’d give it a good four hours, but, it’s really not important since it’s not meat. there’s no -required- cooking time since it’s just fruit and sauce!
what can i do with this?
- pulled jackfruit sandwiches! plop those on some buns. add a side of cole slaw if you wanna get fancy.
- tacos! scoop into warm corn tortillas and top with shredded cheese and fresh cilantro. no need for salsa since all the spices are in the jackfruit!
- taquitos! roll small scoops in corn tortillas, stick a toothpick through to make it stay, and bake in the over for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
enjoy this simple dish while dazzling all your vegetarian friends. :) tip: it’s even better the next day!
image taken from tastespace